[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: hinotify 0.1

Lennart Kolmodin kolmodin at dtek.chalmers.se
Wed Oct 4 15:37:22 EDT 2006

Greetings!

I'm pleased to announce hinotify 0.1, a library to inotify[1] which has
been part of the Linux kernel since 2.6.13.

inotify provides file system event notification, simply add a watcher to
a file or directory and get an event when it is accessed or modified.

The API basically consists of:

inotify_init :: IO INotify
inotify_add_watch :: INotify
                   -> [EventVariety]   -- different events to listen on
                   -> FilePath         -- file/directory to watch
                   -> (Event -> IO ()) -- event handler
                   -> IO WatchDescriptor
inotify_rm_watch :: INotify -> WatchDescriptor -> IO ()

A sample program:

 > import System.Directory
 > import System.IO
 >
 > import System.INotify
 >
 > main :: IO ()
 > main = do
 >     inotify <- inotify_init
 >     print inotify
 >     home <- getHomeDirectory
 >     wd <- inotify_add_watch inotify
 >                             [Open,Close,Access,Modify,Move]
 >                             home
 >                             print
 >     print wd
 >     putStrLn "Listens to your home directory. Hit enter to terminate."
 >     getLine
 >     inotify_rm_watch inotify wd

The code is available via www:

http://haskell.org/~kolmodin/code/hinotify/download/hinotify-0.1.tar.gz

and via darcs:

   darcs get http://haskell.org/~kolmodin/code/hinotify/

The API is available at:

   http://haskell.org/~kolmodin/code/hinotify/docs/api/

The library is very young and I'm most grateful for feedback on the API,
and what else you might have to suggest.

Cheers,
   Lennart Kolmodin

[1] http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rml/inotify/