[Haskell] Haskell Interfacing With VB

Cale Gibbard cgibbard at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 11:06:46 EDT 2005

On 25/09/05, Craig Middlemast <yogibear at cmiddlemast.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I computing student entering my final year at Northumbria University,
> Newcastle upon Tyne. I am doing some research for my final year project
> which is to design and build a Syntax Directed Editor for a high level
> computing language.
>
> The problem which I have is that I would like to use VB as a user interface
> and Haskell as the parser, however I am not sure if this is possible.
> Therefore I was hoping that you could answer the question regarding Haskell
> and VB interfacing, is it possible to interface the two languages, and if so
> could you give me some insight how this can be achieved.
>
> Regards
>
> Craig Middlemast

Well, I don't know about VB, but if you're after a library with a nice
GUI editor, you might try using Glade (http://glade.gnome.org/) with
Gtk2Hs (http://haskell.org/gtk2hs/) which I've been finding to be
quite a nice combination of tools. You can use Glade to produce XML
templates of user interfaces which you can load in your Haskell
program by using the functions in Graphics.UI.Gtk.Glade from Gtk2Hs.

I've never tried doing this on win32, but apparently there is a win32
port of Glade (http://gladewin32.sourceforge.net/), so I think it
should be possible to get things to work.

Someone else might be able to tell you about using VB... I seem to
recall some people working on .net integration for Haskell, though I'm
not sure how that's going. I'm not really a windows user myself.

anyway, hope this is useful
 - Cale