[Haskell] HaskellForge

Brian Smith brianlsmith at gmail.com
Thu May 26 13:04:03 EDT 2005

On 5/25/05, Samuel Bronson <naesten at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21/05/05, Brian Smith <brianlsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 5/13/05, Gour <haskell_list at atmarama.org> wrote:
> > > If we take a look on new HCAR, we can see that many Haskell projects are
> > > scattered all around, so it would be nice to have them on one place.
> >
> > On the other hand, I bet that the majority of developers here also
> > develop software using languages other than Haskell. Further, if these
> > people are like me, then I would want to keep all of my projects in
> > the same place, regardless of implementation language. That is, I
> > don't think that people would want to host their Haskell projects at
> > HaskellForge, Java projects at Java.net, Ruby projects at RubyForge,
> > etc. I think that these language-specific sites are best reserved for
> > infrastructure projects like compilers and reusable libraries.
>
> The thing is, Haskell people tend to want to use Darcs for their
> Haskell stuff, and I don't think there are sites like sourceforge
> supporting it yet...

I tried to address this in my original email. There are several
hosting sites like Sourceforge around. Although it is unlikely that
SF.NET can be pursuaded to integrate Darcs (Subversion support has
been "investigated" for two years, I think), I bet an alternative site
could be pursuaded to install Darcs support. If so, this would benefit
all projects, not just Haskell-related ones.

Also, if a new site had to be created specifically to provide Darcs
hosting, then why limit it to Haskell projects?