The future of Haskell discussion

Manuel M. T. Chakravarty chak@cse.unsw.edu.au
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 16:59:46 +1000

"S. Alexander Jacobson" <alex@shop.com> wrote,

> Out of curiosity, how does GTK+ compare with Fruit?

GTK+ has a C API heavily based on call backs and mutable
state.  Thus, the Haskell transcription of that API heavily
relies on the use of the IO monad - as does H98 textual IO.

> It seems like it would make sense for the standard Haskell GUI also to be
> functional.

A functional GUI would be nice, but standard Haskell text
and file I/O is not functional either.  Functional GUIs like
Fruit are from a research perspective very interesting, but
their design is rather far from being a solved problem,
which makes them a not very likely candidate for a standard
that people seem to like to have sooner rather than later.

Cheers,
Manuel