Breaking Changes and Long Term Support Haskell

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 06:18:29 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 2:04 AM, Taru Karttunen <taruti at taruti.net> wrote:

> E.g. if
>
> A) Most of Hackage (including dependencies) compiles with new GHC.
> (stack & stackage helps somewhat)
>
> B) There is an automated tool that can be used to fix most code
> to compile with new versions of GHC without warnings or CPP.
>
> C) Hackage displays vocally what works with which versions of
> GHC (Status reports do help somewhat)
>

> Then I think much of the complaints would go away.

If we had those things, indeed they would!

However, beyond A (GHC 7.10 was tested more extensively against
hackage/stackage than any previous release of Haskell by far!), the others
require various degrees of engineering effort, including some way to deal
with refactoring code that already has CPP in it, more extensive build-bot
services, etc. and those sort of non-trivial artifacts just haven't been
forthcoming. =/

I would be very happy if those things showed up, however.

-Edward