Breaking Changes and Long Term Support Haskell

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Thu Oct 22 07:04:29 UTC 2015

On 2015-10-22 at 08:04:10 +0200, Taru Karttunen wrote:

[...]

> B) There is an automated tool that can be used to fix most code
> to compile with new versions of GHC without warnings or CPP.

Fyi, Alan is currently working on levaraging HaRe[1] in

 https://github.com/alanz/Hs2010To201x (the `parsing-only` branch)

and it's already showing great promise. However, tools like this will
only be able to handle the no-brainer cases, as in general it's a NP
hard problem. But luckily, those boring mechanical refactorings usually
represent the vast majority, and that's the tedious work we want
tooling to assist us most with.

> C) Hackage displays vocally what works with which versions of
> GHC (Status reports do help somewhat)

I.e. something like

  http://matrix.hackage.haskell.org/package/text

? :-)

 [1]: Btw, here's a recent talk which also mentions the use-case of using
      HaRe to update between Haskell Report revisions or `base` versions:

      https://skillsmatter.com/skillscasts/6539-a-new-foundation-for-refactoring-ghc-exactprint