Breaking Changes and Long Term Support Haskell

Taru Karttunen taruti at taruti.net
Thu Oct 22 06:04:10 UTC 2015

On 21.10 17:42, Gregory Collins wrote:
> All I'm saying is that if we want to appeal to or cater to working software
> engineers, we have to be a lot less cavalier about causing more work for
> them, and we need to prize stability of the core infrastructure more
> highly. That'd be a broader cultural change, and that goes beyond process:
> it's policy.

I think that how the changes are handled can make a large difference.

E.g. if

A) Most of Hackage (including dependencies) compiles with new GHC.
(stack & stackage helps somewhat)

B) There is an automated tool that can be used to fix most code
to compile with new versions of GHC without warnings or CPP.

C) Hackage displays vocally what works with which versions of
GHC (Status reports do help somewhat)

Then I think much of the complaints would go away.

- Taru Karttunen