GHC development asks too much of the host system

Simon Peyton Jones simon.peytonjones at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 07:59:44 UTC 2022

This is a great thread.  I would love it to conclude with some concrete
actions, rather than just petering out.

I think one underexplored approach to addressing the build-time problem
> is to look not at the full-build time but rather look for common tasks
> where we could *avoid* doing a full build (e.g. updating documentation,
> typechecking `base`, running a "good enough" subset of the testsuite)
> and find ways to make those workflows more efficient.

This is a great example of a concrete step.

   - Identify common tasks
   - Write done the procedure for doing that task

I suspect that much waiting time is just because we are building too much.
e.g. if all you want to do is typeset Haddock docs, you probably don't need
the RTS build in threaded-debug way (or even at all).

As to the testsuite, 99% of them run fast.  If there are some slow culprits
that are causing genuine pain, let's identify them.

Simon