GHC development asks too much of the host system

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Wed Jul 20 16:46:14 UTC 2022

Hécate <hecate at glitchbra.in> writes:

> Hello ghc-devs,
>
> I hadn't made significant contributions to the GHC code base in a while,
> until a few days ago, where I discovered that my computer wasn't able to
> sustain running the test suite, nor handle HLS well.
>
> Whether it is my OS automatically killing the process due to oom-killer
> or just the fact that I don't have a war machine, I find it too bad and
> I'm frankly discouraged.

Hi Hécate,

I have opened #21892 to track the issue of large testsuite tests. If you
are able, do leave some references on that ticket regarding which tests
were giving you trouble. I'm going to try to do some measurements on my
end as well, but it would be good to know that I am seeing similar
things to what you are seeing.

- Ben