GHC development asks too much of the host system

Hécate hecate at glitchbra.in
Tue Jul 19 17:55:49 UTC 2022

Hi Simon,

Regarding the compiler compilation:
I often have to re-run ./configure and ./boot between development phases
(usually spaced by one or two weeks), which prevents me from benefiting
from `--freeze1` from the get-go.
The flavour I use is `Quick`, as it is advertised on https://ghc.dev.
The technique I use now is to restrict the `-j` parameter to 1 or 2. I
can go above for night builds, but if I want to keep my system usable,
this is how it goes.
This takes 47m07s according to Hadrian.

Moreover, modern computers have a BIOS setting that shuts down the
computer when the temperature is too high (between 70°C and 100°C I
believe). I ended up upping this limit in my BIOS some time ago, but I
wish I didn't need to.
(and yes I do frequently remove the dust ;)

Regarding documentation contribution,
The time it takes to run `hadrian/build -j --flavour=Quick` *plus*
`hadrian/build -j2 --freeze1 --flavour=Quick docs --docs=no-sphinx-pdfs
` in order to render the haddocks is way too high for occasional
contributors.

I started a process while writing this email, in order to get fresh and
accurate numbers, and here is what I got in return:

juil. 19 19:37:21 elatha systemd[1759]:
app-kitty-dedaa3d5a1ee43dd8b2552b7afd53cd5.scope: systemd-oomd killed 36
process(es) in this unit.
juil. 19 19:37:21 elatha systemd-oomd[682429]: Killed
/user.slice/user-1000.slice/user at 1000.service/app.slice/app-kitty-dedaa3d5a1ee43dd8b2552b7afd53cd5.scope
due to memory used (16192806912) / total (16358338560) and swap used
(8102125568) / total (8589930496) being more than 90.00%

Now regarding HLS, I remember that a point of marketing for it is that
it supports GHC. Considering the very skilled people who hold the wheel
of HLS development, my first (nor second) reflex isn't to doubt them. So
yes I believe I must disable HLS when working on GHC, but then how do we
spread this kind of information / work-around while at the same time
saying "but HLS is still reliable, pinky swear, it's just that it
doesn't scale".

I do not doubt that HLS does some heavy stuff and I'm truly grateful for
all the times where it detects unused imports, unused extensions, and
even inserts import lines for me! But I find it hard to promote HLS
whilst also putting an asterisk that says "Provided that you can afford
it".

This is pretty much all I can observe. I'd be more than happy to have
better observability into the build process, though!
I'm not too desperate for the future, because chatting with Bryan gave
me hope for progress in that area.

Hécate ✨
🐦: @TechnoEmpress
IRC: Hecate