GHC development asks too much of the host system

Simon Peyton Jones simon.peytonjones at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 16:29:33 UTC 2022

That's bad Hecate. We need GHC to be fun to work with, not a pain.

Can you be (much) more specific?  The more concrete the problem, the more
likely we can address it.

e.g. What if you don't use HLS?  Or maybe Hadrian is building much more
than you need? It would be super helpful to have more information.  There
may be things we can't reasonably address (e.g. make a small, light,
non-optimising compiler instead, throwing away most of the code base) but I
bet that sheer size isn't the only factor.

Thanks!

Simon