GHC development asks too much of the host system

Hécate hecate at glitchbra.in
Tue Jul 19 16:20:44 UTC 2022

Hello ghc-devs,

I hadn't made significant contributions to the GHC code base in a while,
until a few days ago, where I discovered that my computer wasn't able to
sustain running the test suite, nor handle HLS well.

Whether it is my OS automatically killing the process due to oom-killer
or just the fact that I don't have a war machine, I find it too bad and
I'm frankly discouraged.
This is not the first time such feedback emerges, as the documentation
task force for the base library was unable to properly onboard some
people from third-world countries who do not have access to hardware
we'd consider "standard" in western Europe or some parts of North
America. Or at least "standard" until even my standard stuff didn't cut
it anymore.

So yeah, I'll stay around but I'm afraid I'm going to have to focus on
projects for which the feedback loop is not on the scale of hours , as
this is a hobby project.

Hope this will open some eyes.

Cheers,
Hécate