Help needed: Restrictions of proc-notation with RebindableSyntax

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Nov 29 12:41:53 UTC 2016

Jan,

Type checking and desugaring for arrow syntax has received Absolutely No Love for several years.  I do not understand how it works very well, and I would not be at all surprised if it is broken in corner cases.

It really needs someone to look at it carefully, document it better, and perhaps refactor it – esp by using a different data type rather than piggy-backing on HsExpr.

In the light of that understanding, I think rebindable syntax will be easier.

I don’t know if you are up for that, but it’s a rather un-tended part of GHC.

Thanks

Simon