Linker.c broken

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 09:20:11 UTC 2016

On 4 July 2016 at 09:45, Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+hs at mega-nerd.com> wrote:

> Simon Marlow wrote:
>
> > I will fix it, sorry about this.  Unfortunately I can't really add a
> > Windows validate into my workflow because it would mean rebooting my
> laptop
> > into Windows and not doing anything else for several hours.
>
> Even building as 32 bit would have shaken out a bug in the format
> specifiers
> to the debugBelch statement.
>
> Are you on Linux? I use a 32 bit debian chroot on my otherwise 64 bit
> Debian
> system.

Building on 32-bit would flush out some bugs, but not others. Yes I could
use a chroot, or a VM, and I could have Windows in a VM.  But what about OS
X? In fact validate on a single platform already ties up my machine for an
hour, so the more platforms we have to validate the less practical it is to
make small changes.  I think more automation is the only good solution to
this.

So, I rely on CI for most of my commits, whether it's Phabricator (now
fixed!) or Travis.

> > We need some CI support for Windows - Ben/Austin any thoughts on this?
>
> That would be an improvement, but it doesn't help for other OSes like Aix
> and Solaris or other CPUs.
>
> I also noticed that patch bypassed Phabricator. I assume that was a
> mistake. I've
> done it myself. We need to be particularly careful with the RTS code
> because
> its so fragile. It needs to be build and tested on a wide variety of
> systems.

It was actually intentional.  The patch validated on Travis:
https://travis-ci.org/simonmar/ghc/builds/141572355 and I didn't think it
was worth having it reviewed (but if you want to review all linker patches
I'd be happy to put them on Phabricator in the future).

Cheers
Simon