[Yhc] YHC fork

Malcolm Wallace malcolm.wallace at me.com
Mon May 14 18:57:13 CEST 2012

On 9 May 2012, at 21:30, Andrew Oakley wrote:

> In the interests of some program transformations that I want to try out
> I've decided it would be nice to get a YHC based compiler working again.

Good luck!  Yhc is largely in a state of abandonment, but if you can get something useful out of it, please do.

> I've noticed that much of the code is messy and have started to rewrite
> significant parts.

The actual compiler part is shared once again with nhc98, which is almost-but-not-quite dead too: it would be a shame to fork this code yet again, if there is a possibility that it could continue to be shared.  I have a nightly build job that builds nhc98 in a number of different ways, and runs its test suite.  It might pick up some regressions (or highlight improvements) as they occur due to your changes.

> I believe that I should be safe to release any derived works under
> GPLv3 (with some attribution), although it isn't entirely clear. Does
> anybody disagree?

GPL is explicitly allowed, as far as anyone cares.

Regards,
    Malcolm