[Yhc] YHC fork

Andrew Oakley andrew at ado.is-a-geek.net
Wed May 9 22:30:29 CEST 2012

In the interests of some program transformations that I want to try out
I've decided it would be nice to get a YHC based compiler working again.

I managed to get YHC working (although it's a bit of a hack, I haven't
found a nice way to build the libraries), I can probably pull some
patches together if they are wanted.

I've noticed that much of the code is messy and have started to rewrite
significant parts.  On the other hand I think much of the compiler
architecture and ideas in YHC (such as the specific language chosen for
YHC Core) are worth keeping.  I'd like to see some nice libraries for
manipulating Core (I believe that was the intended direction anyway).

Are there any parts of the compiler design that caused problems? Are
there parts that were particularly good?

I believe that I should be safe to release any derived works under
GPLv3 (with some attribution), although it isn't entirely clear. Does
anybody disagree?

Thanks, I'll post an update here when I've got some code to share.

[Aside: I think messy code is expected, especially in old code like the
bits from nhc, or code that has features added over time - please don't
be offended!]

--
Andrew Oakley