[Yhc] build system issues

Andrew Wilkinson andrewjwilkinson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 07:17:38 EST 2007

On 2/13/07, Malcolm Wallace <Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk> wrote:

> > It should print a message about being installed on an unsupported
> > system. Not having a Mac machine to test on, or having any clue about
> > where things should live means I can't write the installer portion of
> > the build system.
>
> Yes, it does say something like
>     Sorry, don't know how to install on your platform.
> five or six lines before the end of the output (but I didn't see it at
> first).

If you run scons as scons -s then you won't get those extra lines. They're a
scons thing and unfortunately the script has no control over them.

Installation on a Mac should be pretty much the same as on Linux, or any
> other unix-like platform.  e.g. /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/include,
> or elsewhere if there was a --prefix= option.

I've enabled this for the Mac too. Hope it doesn't break anything! Just run
'scons install' to install into /usr/local or add prefix=path to install
somewhere else.

By the way, there is no "scons install" target listed in the help message.

I've now added this.

> (4) There seems to be no way to tell scons to use specific build options
> >
> > This has always been supported, but only just documented :-) Yhc picks
> > up the CCFLAGS environment variable. Simply build as:
> > CCFLAGS="-mcpu=g5" scons
>
> Right.  Unfortunately, scons does not seem to respect the CCFLAGS
> variable when it is doing its own configuration tests.  So on my
> machine, scons cannot recognise the installed libgmp, because the test
> for it requires certain C flags (-m64) to succeed, but these are not
> passed through.

This should now work.

Cheers,
Andrew