[Yhc] build system issues

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Tue Feb 13 06:21:55 EST 2007

"Andrew Wilkinson" <andrewjwilkinson at gmail.com> wrote:

> > (1) "scons install" doesn't seem to install anything.  How do I
> >     install yhc to a standard location after building it?
>
> It should print a message about being installed on an unsupported
> system. Not having a Mac machine to test on, or having any clue about
> where things should live means I can't write the installer portion of
> the build system.

Yes, it does say something like
    Sorry, don't know how to install on your platform.
five or six lines before the end of the output (but I didn't see it at
first).

Installation on a Mac should be pretty much the same as on Linux, or any
other unix-like platform.  e.g. /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/include,
or elsewhere if there was a --prefix= option.

By the way, there is no "scons install" target listed in the help message.

> (2) If there is a problem with any of the scons configuration steps
> >     then "scons help" does not work at all.
>
> I've fixed this now.

Excellent!  Yes, this bit works now.

> (3) There seems to be no way to tell scons to use a particular version
> >     of ghc to bootstrap with,
>
> You can now run scons and add a ghc=<path to ghc> options.

Great.  Looks good.

> (4) There seems to be no way to tell scons to use specific build options
>
> This has always been supported, but only just documented :-) Yhc picks
> up the CCFLAGS environment variable. Simply build as:
> CCFLAGS="-mcpu=g5" scons

Right.  Unfortunately, scons does not seem to respect the CCFLAGS
variable when it is doing its own configuration tests.  So on my
machine, scons cannot recognise the installed libgmp, because the test
for it requires certain C flags (-m64) to succeed, but these are not
passed through.

Regards,
    Malcolm