[Yhc] build system issues

Andrew Wilkinson andrewjwilkinson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 17:24:52 EST 2007

On 2/12/07, Malcolm Wallace <Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk> wrote:

> (1) "scons install" doesn't seem to install anything.  How do I install
>     yhc to a standard location after building it?

It should print a message about being installed on an unsupported system.
Not having a Mac machine to test on, or having any clue about where things
should live means I can't write the installer portion of the build system.

(2) If there is a problem with any of the scons configuration steps
>     (e.g. libgmp or wrong version of ghc found), then "scons help" does
>     not work at all.  I thus had several days of chasing configuration
>     issues before I could even get scons to give me its usage message!

I've fixed this now.

(3) There seems to be no way to tell scons to use a particular version
>     of ghc to bootstrap with, if I happen to have several installed and
>     want to use a specific one.  (This is especially a problem if my
>     default version is too old for yhc, like ghc-6.2.2, but for other
>     software I don't want to change the default.)

You can now run scons and add a ghc=<path to ghc> options.

(4) There seems to be no way to tell scons to use specific build options
>     e.g. on my powerpc G5, it would be useful to give -mcpu=g5 to all C
>     compilations, so that it will link properly against the 64-bit libgmp
>     that is installed.  I can imagine wanting to give a bunch of options
>     to the haskell compiler we are bootstrapping with too.

This has always been supported, but only just documented :-) Yhc picks up
the CCFLAGS environment variable. Simply build as:
CCFLAGS="-mcpu=g5" scons

It also supports GHCFLAGS and LIBPATH, which pass options to GHC and the
linker's search path respectively.

Cheers,
Andrew