[Yhc] [Announce] Yhc Bytecode library 0.3

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 16:03:33 EST 2006

Hi,

> Now seems as fine a time as any.  It is certainly better than a few
> days ago when it was broken ;-)  As far as I know, it is now
> completely compatible with the C runtime.

Do you want to take on that job, or shall I? I guess we have no choice
but to loose the history in your repo?

> > I was also thinking of moving the binary interface bits of Bytecode
> > into either Yhc.Binary or Yhc.General (not sure yet), so that Yhc.Core
> > can share the binary low level layer from Yhc.ByteCode - currently it
> > uses something a bit hacky. What are your thoughts on this?
>
> That seems fine to me.  That stuff is tricky to get right, and it's
> better to have it in one place.

Indeed, for Float's I just use outString (show x) - so having
something proper would be good!

> One caveat, though.  Right now, I'm doing a bunch of truly ugly hacks
> (such as assuming that Char is basically a Word8) because Yhc didn't
> have support for Data.Bits, Data.Int and Data.Word when I started the
> project (self-hosting concerns).  If Yhc had those libraries, we
> could get rid of that crap and do it the right way.

Do you actually have Yhc.ByteCode compiling with Yhc? If its only a
future self-hosting concern I'd just say use Data.Int now, and when we
need to self-host we'll make sure we add it. If its an active issue,
I'll talk to Tom and see what we can do.