[Yhc] [Announce] Yhc Bytecode library 0.3

Robert Dockins Robdockins at fastmail.fm
Sun Oct 29 16:01:07 EST 2006

On Oct 29, 2006, at 3:45 PM, Neil Mitchell wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
>> I am pleased to announce the release of the Yhc Bytecode library,
>> version 0.3.
>
> Cool :)
>
> Do you think now is a good time to move it into the main Yhc repo?
> I've now created a separate libraries directory which has Yhc.Core in
> it and Yhc.General. I am also working on having the scons install
> command install the libraries using Cabal. Plus scons push works well
> for everyone now. It also makes it easier for Yhc to use the ByteCode
> library, when we decide to do that.

Now seems as fine a time as any.  It is certainly better than a few
days ago when it was broken ;-)  As far as I know, it is now
completely compatible with the C runtime.

> I was also thinking of moving the binary interface bits of Bytecode
> into either Yhc.Binary or Yhc.General (not sure yet), so that Yhc.Core
> can share the binary low level layer from Yhc.ByteCode - currently it
> uses something a bit hacky. What are your thoughts on this?

That seems fine to me.  That stuff is tricky to get right, and it's
better to have it in one place.

One caveat, though.  Right now, I'm doing a bunch of truly ugly hacks
(such as assuming that Char is basically a Word8) because Yhc didn't
have support for Data.Bits, Data.Int and Data.Word when I started the
project (self-hosting concerns).  If Yhc had those libraries, we
could get rid of that crap and do it the right way.