[Yhc] [Announce] Yhc Bytecode library 0.3

Robert Dockins Robdockins at fastmail.fm
Sun Oct 29 16:14:25 EST 2006

On Oct 29, 2006, at 4:03 PM, Neil Mitchell wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Now seems as fine a time as any.  It is certainly better than a few
>> days ago when it was broken ;-)  As far as I know, it is now
>> completely compatible with the C runtime.
>
> Do you want to take on that job, or shall I? I guess we have no choice
> but to loose the history in your repo?

I think it would be better if you did it.  I'm not familiar with
scons at all, and I don't have time to get up to speed just now.

As to the history, I'm not sure.  I don't know of a way to merge
separate darcs repositories, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.
Either way, there isn't a tremendous amount of history, so I don't
think it would be a great loss.

>> > I was also thinking of moving the binary interface bits of Bytecode
>> > into either Yhc.Binary or Yhc.General (not sure yet), so that
>> Yhc.Core
>> > can share the binary low level layer from Yhc.ByteCode -
>> currently it
>> > uses something a bit hacky. What are your thoughts on this?
>>
>> That seems fine to me.  That stuff is tricky to get right, and it's
>> better to have it in one place.
>
> Indeed, for Float's I just use outString (show x) - so having
> something proper would be good!
>
>> One caveat, though.  Right now, I'm doing a bunch of truly ugly hacks
>> (such as assuming that Char is basically a Word8) because Yhc didn't
>> have support for Data.Bits, Data.Int and Data.Word when I started the
>> project (self-hosting concerns).  If Yhc had those libraries, we
>> could get rid of that crap and do it the right way.
>
> Do you actually have Yhc.ByteCode compiling with Yhc?

I actually haven't tested it.  I always meant to get around to it,
but I just haven't.  No cabal support just made the barrier a little
to high for me to take time to do it.  I expect that it would work
(you have Data.Map now right?)

> If its only a
> future self-hosting concern I'd just say use Data.Int now, and when we
> need to self-host we'll make sure we add it. If its an active issue,
> I'll talk to Tom and see what we can do.

> Thanks
>
> Neil

Rob Dockins

Speak softly and drive a Sherman tank.