[xmonad] Failing to start xmonad sometimes

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 17:35:28 UTC 2024

Something is repeatedly restarting xmonad. The first one fails with

xmonad: X11 error: BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter), request code=18, error
code=5

The last two fail with

X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private resource
denied)
  Major opcode of failed request:  2 (X_ChangeWindowAttributes)
  Serial number of failed request:  7

which indicates that the X server thinks another window manager (possibly
another xmonad instance) is already running.

On Sun, Jan 21, 2024 at 12:23 PM Eyal Erez <oneself at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've started encountering a weird problem: roughly one in three times,
> something will crash when I try to log in, and bounce me back to the login
> manager (slim in my case). When I look in .xsession-errors, I can see:
>
> XIO:  fatal IO error 4 (Interrupted system call) on X server ":0.0"
>       after 8690 requests (8690 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
> XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server
> ":0.0"
>       after 2823 requests (6 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
> lxpolkit: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server
> :0.0.
> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
>
> But I'm not sure what this means or how to debug further.  Here's the full
> .xsession-errors
> https://pastebin.com/t3AcV7dC
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> --
> There are 10 types of people, those who know binary and those who don't.

brandon s allbery kf8nh
allbery.b at gmail.com