[xmonad] Total Noob to Xmonad

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 15:06:55 UTC 2022

On Fri, Apr 1, 2022 at 10:42 AM Michael Needham <jmikeneedham at gmail.com> wrote:
> What happens is the dm of choice runs from systemctl just fine.  At login you get your dialog box and put in your password, then the machine tries to load the session and just drops you back to the login screen.  Upon disabling lightdm or sddm (no matter which, they both behave as described above) you can reboot from an alternate tty (eg cnttl-alt-f2) and reboot.  Have tried Xmonad —recompile from alt tty and this hangs the x-session running on tty 0 so I reboot from alt tty and rinse and repeat.  So currently the dm is disabled and I through much reading and watching a few tutorials as well as going through the Xmonad documentation, believe it is a PAM Authentication issue?  I do have lxsession installed and I think I need a little clarification on what exactly needs to go into Xmonad.hs as far as imports and perhaps hooks.  If I am wrong about my conclusion, please advise.  I currently have decided to go with sddm if anyone decides to reply.

A common complication with display managers is that the $PATH they use
is `/bin:/usr/bin`; they don't run your `.profile`/`.bash_profile`, so
they won't find xmonad unless it's in `/usr/bin`. It's often a good
idea to use a `.xsession` based session, with your `.xsession` file
being something like:

    #! /bin/bash
    source ~/.bash_profile
    exec xmonad

> Thank you for help in advance and please forgive me for my verbose post.

Better to provide more information than none, when it comes to
debugging these kinds of failures.

--
brandon s allbery kf8nh
allbery.b at gmail.com