[xmonad] Total Noob to Xmonad

Platon Pronko platon7pronko at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 14:57:25 UTC 2022

Hi!

I don't have any good ideas about what could be causing this. But I can give a tip about debugging the situation - maybe it'll help. I had similar situations ("then the machine tries to load the session and just drops you back to the login screen"), and I debugged it by wrapping the session startup code in a subshell and sending output to log files. Something like this (I'm using lightdm, but session files should be in the same location for all others):

$ cat /usr/share/xsessions/debug.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Debug session
Comment=Only run ~/.xsession
Exec=bash -c "~/.xsession"

$ cat ~/.xsession
#!/bin/bash
(
    xmonad 1>/tmp/xmonad.stdout 2>/tmp/xmonad.stderr &
    xfce4-session
) 1>/tmp/session.stdout 2>/tmp/session.stderr

> Have tried Xmonad —recompile from alt tty and this hangs the x-session

This is strange - why should --recompile hang the running xmonad process? Does the `xmonad --recompile` command complete successfully?

--
Best regards,
Platon Pronko