[xmonad] Starting Audacity under Xmonad triggers end of user session

Josiah Schwab jschwab at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 16:56:10 UTC 2017

Hello,

I am using xmonad on Arch Linux on a ThinkPad X1 Carbon (Gen 4).

Over the past few months, I have occasionally had issues where my X
session suddenly ends and I am dumped back into my display manager.

There is no relevant information in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old, simply the
line

    [ 4566.334] (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file

The only relevant lines I see in the journal are:

    Jan 17 08:26:55 monolith lightdm[31036]: pam_unix(lightdm:session): session closed for user jschwab
    Jan 17 08:26:55 monolith org.a11y.atspi.Registry[31192]: XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"
    Jan 17 08:26:55 monolith org.a11y.atspi.Registry[31192]:       after 885 requests (885 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

I finally found a 100% reproducible case, which is to launch the program
audacity.  I confirmed that this issue occurs using the example xmonad
configuration shipped with the Arch Linux package
(/usr/share/x86_64-linux-ghc-8.0.1/xmonad-0.12/man/xmonad.hs).

I suspect that xmonad is at least a contributing factor, because I
installed another window manager (openbox) and confirmed that the
problem does not occur there.

I also confirmed that the issue occurs with the xmonad-git and
xmonad-contrib-git packages, which track master on GitHub, so this
hasn't been fixed since 0.12.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to track down the source of this
problem?

Josiah

P.S.  This was cross-posted on the Arch Linux forums.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1684595