[xmonad] Default Floating Window Criteria (rdesktop)

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 01:26:10 UTC 2016

On Sat, Mar 5, 2016 at 8:12 PM, Jason Schulz <jason at schulz.name> wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out why XMonad isn't tiling rdesktop by default (and
> hopefully change it).  Whenever I launch rdesktop, the window gets
> floated.  I'm

There is also a built-in criterion: if a window declares its default size,
minimum size, and maximum size the same (see WM_NORMAL_HINTS in xprop) then
xmonad floats it because it cannot satisfy a fixed window size with a tile
whose size depends on the tiling algorithm as modified by tabs, struts,
etc. You should be able to override this in the manageHook. If rdesktop is
applying the -geometry option to all three of those sizes then rdesktop
would need to be modified to do something more sensible (but note that it
may be doing that to work around other window managers' behavior!).