[xmonad] window clients ignore docks on xmonad login

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 01:16:01 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 2:20 PM, Dave Macias <davama at gmail.com> wrote:

> When log into box for the *first time* the "sendMessage ToggleStruts"
> seems to be on because when i open a terminal or any window it covers the
> docks.

I have not been able to reproduce this. I do know of a similar issue but it
is not likely to produce these symptoms (opening a window corrects it, for
example).

The edges of desktop windows (e.g. file manager window) are often covered
because older versions don't set _NET_WORKAREA and darcs sets it
incorrectly; this should not affect docks.

It is conceivable that the change to avoidStruts to (incorrectly) calculate
_NET_WORKAREA caused a problem, but as I have two xmonad instances that do
not show the problem you describe, I don't think it broke strut handling
significantly.

> One more thing:
> when i have an urgenthint evoked and i run "xmonad --restart" i get kicked
> out of xmonad and into my login screen (lxdm)
> Someone had told on the irc channel that it had to do with the window id
> and the timer "remindWhen". This happens on both darcs and haskell versions
> of xmonad.

That was probably me, as I've discussed that with at least two people in
#xmonad over the past month. :)

I have never reproduced this one, either, but as I run xmonad under MATE I
have never had a reason to configure the UrgencyHook.

It would help if you could arrange for your .xsession-errors to be saved
after a crash (log in on a text console or ssh and copy it out of the way)
so we could see the error message from the crash.