[xmonad] window clients ignore docks on xmonad login

Dave Macias davama at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 20:16:06 UTC 2015

Thank you for the reply Brandon.

Regarding item 1, i really didn't understand much of what you mentioned or
how i could test it. Either way when i flip the visible workspaces
(focused/non) on my monitors the problem goes away and the avoidstrut
works. I googled a bit and i believe "_NET_WORKAREA" has to do with EWMH
desktops. The only thing i use is "ewmhDesktopsLogHook" because i gives
keyboard focus to chromium when switch to it. Didn't like the whole ewmh
functionality cuz it would steal my focus.

Item 2:
Unforgettably my ~/.xsession-errors was empty on crash. I ran several
tests, i think i narrowed down (when) it happens.

configuration: xmonad $ withUrgencyHook myUrgentHook   --- no urgencyconfig
what is visible:  dzen bar and logpp on
restart effect: kicks out
;;
same config
what is visible: just logpp is on, bar disappears
restart effect: xmoand restart successfully
;;
configuration: xmonad $ withUrgencyHookC myUrgentHook myUrgencyConfig ---
where myUrgencyConfig = urgencyConfig { suppressWhen = Focused }
what is visible: both bar ahd logpp
restart effect: kicks out
;;
same config:
what is visible: logpp
restart effect: xmonad is good
;;
configuration: xmonad $ withUrgencyHookC myUrgentHook myUrgencyConfig ---
where myUrgencyConfig = urgencyConfig {suppressWhen= Visible, remindWhen =
(Every (minutes 1.0))}
for this one i get kicked out regardless of what is visible

Thanks again
Dave