[xmonad] dmenu tab completion

Tyler Smith tyler at plantarum.ca
Fri Jan 17 13:17:08 UTC 2014

On 17/01/14 05:10 AM, Ramon Diaz-Uriarte wrote:
 >> How are you calling dmenu? I think you might need to use
"dmenu_run", NOT just "dmenu" (and this is something that changed
sometime in the past). >> This is what I have now in my xmonad.hs ,

> ((modMask, xK_p ), spawn "dmenu_run")

Thanks!

I switched from:

    , ((modm,               xK_p     ), spawn "exe=`dmenu_path | dmenu`
&& eval \"exec $exe\"")

   , ((modm,               xK_p     ), spawn "dmenu_run")

and dmenu is now working again.
> (That said, I find dmenu is sometimes too slow, and I end up using
> gmrun and typing the command and completing in there).
The original form, when it worked, was fast. Now with dmenu_run it is
noticeably slower, so maybe I will switch to gmrun as well. I had been
using gmrun under fluxbox, but always found it slow there.

Best,

Tyler