[xmonad] dmenu tab completion

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 10:10:19 UTC 2014

Dear Tyler,

On Fri, 17-01-2014, at 04:41, tyler at plantarum.ca wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A few notes about the problem I described below. I referred to tab
> completion in xmobar - of course I should have said dmenu. The problem
> (dmenu lacking tab completion of any sort) persists, even after
> completely purging all xmonad and haskell packages from Debian and
> reinstalling. A similar problem is described here:
> https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/dmenu-4175435436/
>
>  From the forum post, the problem was resolved, but without any clear
> suggestions as to how or why. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to
> fix this?

How are you calling dmenu? I think you might need to use "dmenu_run", NOT
just "dmenu" (and this is something that changed sometime in the past).

This is what I have now in my xmonad.hs

 , ((modMask,               xK_p     ), spawn "dmenu_run")

If you change your xmonad.hs you will need to do

xmonad --recompile
xmonad --restart

(That said, I find dmenu is sometimes too slow, and I end up using gmrun
 and typing the command and completing in there).

Best,

R.

> Thanks,
>
> Tyler
>
> On 10/01/14 06:44 PM, Tyler Smith wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have been using xmonad for a few weeks. After updating via aptitude
>> on Debian unstable a few days ago, xmobarno longer offers
>> tab-completions. It still works, but I have to ype out the whole
>> command name. The colour of the bar is now black as well.
>>
>> I found some discussion of this on a forum. A solution was to rebuild
>> xmonad. Not knowing Haskell, I'm not sure how to do this.
>>
>> Is there another solution? If not, how do I rebuild xmonad - is this
>> even possible with the Debian package, or do I need to install from
>> source?

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
Department of Biochemistry, Lab B-25
Facultad de Medicina