[xmonad] dmenu tab completion

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 15:07:59 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 8:17 AM, Tyler Smith <tyler at plantarum.ca> wrote:

> I switched from:
>
>    , ((modm,               xK_p     ), spawn "exe=`dmenu_path | dmenu` &&
> eval \"exec $exe\"")

>   , ((modm,               xK_p     ), spawn "dmenu_run")
>
> and dmenu is now working again.

I infer that you have one of those "build up the default from scratch"
configs. We have a comment in that example config saying "don't use this as
a real config", but various Linux distributions like to remove that comment
and recommend its use.

If you had not used it, xmonad would probably have handled the dmenu change
for you with at most an "xmonad --recompile" needed. This is *why* we
disrecommend use of that config --- it hides any changes we make later to
xmonad to adapt to changing external utilities, and can hide new
functionality.