[xmonad] To what xmonad renames the Menu key?

jenia.ivlev jenia.ivlev at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 17:55:01 UTC 2014

Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>
writes:

> On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 10:31 PM, jenia.ivlev
> <jenia.ivlev at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     I'm wondering if xmonad remapped the menu to become the mod key?
>

> xmonad does no key remapping.
You are right. It was my own xmonad.hs config file that caused the
problem.
I was certain that I verified that but apperently not.

> Have you by any chance been experimenting with Xkb, either directly
> (setxkbmap) or indirectly (various desktop manager keyboard control
> panels, xorg.conf Xkb* configuration entries, etc.)? I seem to recall
> someone suggesting some setxkbmap entries to you earlier.
I tried it but it turned out that it doesn't have the exact key mapping
I need.

    remove Control = Control_R
    keysym Menu = Control_R
    keysym Control_R = Super_L
    add Control = Control_R

That is, switch the Menu and Right-Control and also make the Menu
key(just to avoid confusion, I want to repeat that on the physical
keybaord, its written ctrl on it cause we switched them around)
into the Super key (mod key in xmonad).

> This will interact with xmodmap, and Xkb will take precedence --- and
> xmodmap can't always understand Xkb settings.

Thanks very much for your help.
Happy upcoming New Year!!!