[xmonad] How to start xmonad with lxde?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 02:14:55 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 9:02 PM, jenia.ivlev <jenia.ivlev at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks very much. I think it worked. But I must admit that I though, for
> some reason, that xmonad will start lxde and I will have all the normal
> lxde features (like program's bar on the buttom and so on). Instead, it
> only started the terminal from lxde. Can you please tell me, how do I
> start a full lxde Desktop Environment with xmonad?

In general, you have to use the desktop environment to start the window
manager, not the other way around; the window manager must be controlled by
the desktop manager's session manager. The xmonad configuration you were
given just minimally configures monad to play well with most desktop
managers, but without any integration beyond using the LXDE terminal; in
particular, it won't configure mod-shift-q to shut down the LXDE session,
and the session manager will usually just restart the window manager if it
exits so mod-shift-q will end up being the same as mod-q.

Your xmonad.hs is the one from section 3 of
https://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Using_xmonad_in_LXDE but you
also need the file from section 2 to configure LXDE to start xmonad; then
you use "startlxde" as normal to start an LXDE session with xmonad as the
window manager. I would use a slightly more detailed xmonad.hs to fix the
mod-shift-q issue, though:

    import XMonad    import XMonad.Config.Desktop    import XMonad.Util.EZConfig
        main = xmonad $ desktopConfig { terminal = "lxterminal" }
                    `additionalKeysP`
                    [("M-S-q", spawn "lxsession-logout")

(The above is also available as http://lpaste.net/116981)