[xmonad] XMonad.Prompt.Pass patch

ardumont eniotna.t at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 08:51:14 UTC 2014

Peter Jones writes:

> ardumont <eniotna.t at gmail.com> writes:
>> Like I said, from pass's documentation (I just added the links): -
>>
>> [...snip...]
>>
>> This is all `default` (it's in the main repository distribution) so I
>> do not understand.  Also, I believe those distributions are the main
>> linux families (every other in a way or another deriving from one of
>> those).
>>
>> So I must misunderstand the term `default` package, can you explicit it
>> for me?
>
> Maybe I'm splitting hairs but when I think of a "standard" or "default"
> package I think of things like coreutils that are installed
> automatically when I installed my operating system.
--text follows this line--
Ok. I understand what you mean now.
>From this definition, neither is xmonad then.

> Think about it this way: since xmonad is in the "main repository
> distribution" for many operating systems, would you call it a "standard"
> package?

With my definition (something like `available for install in standard
distribution's packages repository`), I give earlier, yes.

With your definition (which clarifies thing), no.

(By the way, a subject for another time, it would be good to have a
distribution which proposed xmonad as default.)

> Just because I can install a package doesn't mean it's a "standard"
> package.  I'm sure my operating system has dozens of password managers
> to choose from, just like it has dozens of windows managers.  I would
> only call one of them the "standard" package if it was automatically
> installed by the base system.

Ok.

Let me put it this way, using your definition:
- XMonad/XMonad-contrib are not standard packages
- pass is not standard package
- XMonad.Prompt.Pass uses pass (as implementation)
Conclusion:
We are not standard, we do not integrate this contribution because you
are not standard.

Do you think it's reasonable?
I do not.

We have an expression in France for that: `l'hopital qui se moque de la
charite` :D The translation is: `it's the pot calling the kettle
blackSee`. (I learned a new expression)

--

Also, to clarify, the name `XMonad.Prompt.Pass` is named like `pass` but is not named
after `pass`.

@ardumont