[xmonad] Issue 97 in xmonad: xmonad stops responding to keyboard input after running xscreensaver

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Tue Apr 1 02:40:42 UTC 2014

Comment #39 on issue 97 by beyer... at gmail.com: xmonad stops responding to
keyboard input after running xscreensaver

I strongly suspect that the issue is related to keyboard focus, based on
this log from my xsession:

xscreensaver: 19:20:55: couldn't grab keyboard!  (AlreadyGrabbed)
xscreensaver: 19:20:59: couldn't grab pointer!  (AlreadyGrabbed)

I know of a few workarounds, although the latter is somewhat tedious.

1) If you are using TwoPane, simply focus the other window with the mouse
and it should regain keyboard focus.

2) If that doesn't work, go into a console (ex. Ctrl+Alt+F1..F[N]), set
your DISPLAY environment variable to your regular display and execute an
arbitrary GUI application  (I use xterm), and then you should regain
keyboard focus.  Once you're done with that, log off on the console, and
close the redundant application.

I wouldn't say that it's a bug in xscreensaver per-se, or at least, it is
relatively easy for me to regain keyboard focus in wmii (as a point of
comparison).  I don't think that the issue affects non-tiling window
managers at all.

I'm working on software with timed locking (like xidle) for my screen
locker, metalock.  (I would suspect that the main reason why xscreensaver
is preferred over other tools is due to the daemon's ability to accept
pings via xscreenaver-cmd -deactivate)