[xmonad] Issue 97 in xmonad: xmonad stops responding to keyboard input after running xscreensaver

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Tue Apr 1 02:56:48 UTC 2014

Comment #40 on issue 97 by beyer... at gmail.com: xmonad stops responding to
keyboard input after running xscreensaver

I strongly suspect that the issue is related to keyboard focus, based on
this log from my xsession:

xscreensaver: 19:20:55: couldn't grab keyboard!  (AlreadyGrabbed)
xscreensaver: 19:20:59: couldn't grab pointer!  (AlreadyGrabbed)

I know of a few workarounds, although the latter is somewhat tedious:

1) If you are using TwoPane, simply focus the other window with the mouse,
and then it should regain keyboard focus.

2) Otherwise, go into a TTY console (eg. Ctrl+Alt+F1..F[N-1]), set your
DISPLAY environment variable to your regular display, and then execute an
arbitrary GUI application (I use xterm).  This should allow you to regain
keyboard focus.  Once you have keyboard focus again, clean up by logging
off on the console, and by closing the redundant application.

I wouldn't say that it's a bug in xscreensaver per-se, or at least, it is
relatively easy for me to regain keyboard focus in wmii (as a point of
comparison).  I don't think that the issue affects non-tiling window
managers at all.

I'm currently working on software with timed locking (like an enhanced
version of xidle) for my screen locking software, metalock.  (I would
suspect that the main reason why xscreensaver is preferred over other tools
is due to the daemon's ability to accept pings via xscreensaver-cmd
-deactivate)

Regards,
Tim