[xmonad] Looking to deploy xmonad to ~20 employees

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sun Jan 13 15:56:23 CET 2013

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 13.01.2013, 14:52 +0100 schrieb Thomas Løcke:

> 1. We need to be able to run a legacy Windows application. I plan on
> solving this with VirtualBox, and I would like for my employees to
> have this application available fullscreen at workspace 1, but when I
> fullscreen  the virtual XP on this workspace, the bottom part of
> Windows "fall out" below the monitor. This is because I have xmobar
> running. If I disable xmobar the problem goes away. But I only want to
> disable xmobar for this one workspace. Is there a way to disable
> struts on a single workspace, preferably in xmonad.hs?

I assume you are using XMonad.Hooks.ManageDocks and avoidStruts to make
things avoid xmobar? In that case, try "sendMessage ToggleStruts" to see
if that yields the behavior you want, i.e. the VirtualBox window _above_
xmobar.

I guess it is possible to enable avoidStruts only on some workspaces,
probably with XMonad.Layout.PerWorkspace – I have not used that.

> 2. I want to start a few programs on xmonad startup. What is
> considered best practice, .xinitrc or .xmonad.hs?

I’d say .xinitrc.

> 3. How can I change the shift+mod+[c|q] shortcuts to something
> insanely impossible? I don't want people killing stuff by mistake.

Remove it completely?

Or maybe have them enter commands in a XMonad.Prompt.XMonad.

Gruß,
Joachim

--
Joachim Breitner