[xmonad] Looking to deploy xmonad to ~20 employees

Thomas Løcke thomas.granvej6 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 10:15:10 CET 2013

On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 3:56 PM, Joachim Breitner
<mail at joachim-breitner.de>wrote:

> I assume you are using XMonad.Hooks.ManageDocks and avoidStruts to make
> things avoid xmobar? In that case, try "sendMessage ToggleStruts" to see
> if that yields the behavior you want, i.e. the VirtualBox window _above_
> xmobar.
>
> I guess it is possible to enable avoidStruts only on some workspaces,
> probably with XMonad.Layout.PerWorkspace – I have not used that.

I do use "sendMessage ToggleStruts" in my own xmonad.hs to toggle xmobar
on/off, but I've
no idea how to A. make it affect only a specific workspace and B.
automatically call it when
xmonad is started.

> > 2. I want to start a few programs on xmonad startup. What is
> > considered best practice, .xinitrc or .xmonad.hs?
>
> I’d say .xinitrc.

Yea, it sounds like the most sane route to take.

> > 3. How can I change the shift+mod+[c|q] shortcuts to something
> > insanely impossible? I don't want people killing stuff by mistake.
>
> Remove it completely?

I do want to retain the functionality, I just want to make it a bit harder
to hit those keys by mistake.

> Or maybe have them enter commands in a XMonad.Prompt.XMonad.

You mean putting the functionality of S-M-c in a prompt?

:o)
Thomas Løcke