[xmonad] Looking to deploy xmonad to ~20 employees

Thomas Løcke thomas.granvej6 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 14:52:54 CET 2013

Hey all,

I've been running xmonad for a while now, and I'm very happy with it, so
happy in fact that I'm contemplating moving most of my employees from
Windows XP to Linux with xmonad. Most of them are only using a specific set
of applications, so we don't really need the extra hassle of having a WM/DE
with all sorts of bells and whistles.

I do though have a couple of issues:

1. We need to be able to run a legacy Windows application. I plan on
solving this with VirtualBox, and I would like for my employees to have
this application available fullscreen at workspace 1, but when I fullscreen
 the virtual XP on this workspace, the bottom part of Windows "fall out"
below the monitor. This is because I have xmobar running. If I disable
xmobar the problem goes away. But I only want to disable xmobar for this
one workspace. Is there a way to disable struts on a single workspace,
preferably in xmonad.hs?

2. I want to start a few programs on xmonad startup. What is considered
best practice, .xinitrc or .xmonad.hs?

3. How can I change the shift+mod+[c|q] shortcuts to something insanely
impossible? I don't want people killing stuff by mistake.

4. VNC access. I'm guessing this works just the same as with KDE/Gnome, but
I'd be interested in hearing if anybody got some experiences to share.

I guess that's all for now. I'm pretty excited about this, and I do hope
everything can be made to work in a satisfactory way.

:o)
Thomas Løcke