[xmonad] Help with achieving desired layout

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 23:06:25 CET 2013

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Bryan Huh <bhh1988 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm using "Mirror Tall" with dual monitors. The top half of my screens are
> for master windows, and the bottom half are for slave windows. I find
> though, that as long as I have more than one slave window in a workspace it
> makes the bottom half of the screen pretty unusable because it gets split
> evenly amongst all the slaves, and each slave window becomes unpleasant to
> view. It'd be nice if there was a main slave so that most or all of the
> "slave pane" is filled with the main slave window. Then I would have half
> of the screen filled with the master

Perhaps what you want to do is wrap
http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Layout-Master.htmlaround
something like
http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Layout-Grid.html .  (I
don't think it will play well with a layout that already has a master
window.)

Alternately you could use
http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Layout-Combo.html with
something like
http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Layout-Simplest.html in
one pane and Tall or Mirror Tall in the other.  See the documentation for
Combo for how you select and move windows with that setup.