[xmonad] Help with achieving desired layout

Bryan Huh bhh1988 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 02:05:31 CET 2013

Thanks Brandon. The second solution is really close to what I wanted.
The first one is also close except when I switch to master I lose my
spot in the slave stack, which is similar to the behavior for DragPane.
The second solution doesn't have this problem when I switch to the
master window, but it's not possible for me to switch back to my
previously focused slave window without using my mouse.

I'm a little confused with what the Combo layout is supposed to do
exactly. There actually isn't a clear sense of two different layouts,
because no matter what, one pane ends up occupied with exactly one
window, and only the other pane has one of the specified layouts. It's
also not possible for me to move a window from one pane to the other,
despite using the WindowNavigation as instructed in
http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Layout-Combo.html. I
can't tell whether Combo.hs is no longer working as it should or if I'm
doing something wrong.

Bryan