[xmonad] MouseGestures and click events reaching apps, again

Daniel Wagner wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu
Mon Apr 15 16:21:53 CEST 2013

Hi Jeff,

I suspect you're not getting a response because it's not really an easy
problem to fix in "user-space" (i.e. from within your config). I guess
what's happening is that because you've added a mouse binding for
left-mouse clicks (with no modifier), xmonad is grabbing all clicks. It
then passes them on to whatever handler you have defined, and assumes
that handler always knows how to do everything.

That is, currently, xmonad core has no way for its mouse bindings to
signal that they can't actually handle a particular mouse event. (The
same is true of the key bindings.)

Fixing this likely involves learning enough about X to know how to
handle this correctly at the X level, then hacking on xmonad core to add
the appropriate logic. There are likely to be people on-list who can
give you some pointers to where to start with the X documentation, if
that would be helpful.

~d