[xmonad] Prompt completion: Longest common string

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Tue Jun 5 14:54:58 CEST 2012

On Sun, Jun 03, 2012 at 12:06:20AM -0400, Pablo Olmos de Aguilera Corradini wrote:
> Well, I don't know if I can be clear enough; I'm looking to be able to
> "complete" when I press tab instead of cycle through every option.
>
> For example:
>
>    Run: gno
>    a lot of output that starts with gnome-
>
> I would expect that pressing <Tab> turns gno to gnome-
>
> I've been looking trough the Xmonad.Prompt and Xmonad.Prompt.Shell in
> the contrib docs, but I can't find the correct function to do it.

Sadly, it seems the current behavior is hard-coded (see the
'completionHandle' function here:

  http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/src/XMonad-Prompt.html

) There doesn't seem to be a way to configure things to get the
behavior you want.  It does seem like a sensible behavior though, and
of course patches to XMonad.Prompt allowing it to be configured would
be welcome.

-Brent