[xmonad] Going Gnomeless (and Unityless on Oneiric)

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 10:39:27 CET 2012

I am joining late, but in case it helps:

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 08:33:19 +0100,Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch> wrote:
> Brandon Allbery wrote:

> > nm-applet will work with something like trayer instead of the GNOME panel,

> Any hints on how to progress with this?

> When I try

>   trayer &
>   nm-applet

> I get

>   ** Message: applet now removed from the notification area
>   ** (nm-applet:2096): DEBUG: old state indicates that this was not a disconnect 0

> > although you may need to run xmonad under ck-start-session.

> As I'm doing only inital trials at the moment, I don't want to exit my
> session and lose my bazillion windows. Could not running it through
> ck-launch-session be the cause of the above? From what you said
> elsewhere ...

I have nm-applet and trayer working fine. I launch trayer and nm-applet
from .xinitrc, something like

trayer --and-a-bunch-of-options
nm-applet --sm-disable > /dev/null 2> /dev/null &
xmonad

I can kill and relaunch nm-applet as many times as I want without trouble
(which I often do when I change display configuration options via
xrandr, say for class presentations, etc).

> > It's part of ConsoleKit, which NetworkManager / nm-applet uses to
> > authenticate the console user as being permitted to control wifi.

I had some trouble with that too. I need to use kdm or gdm as display
manager (I used to use wdm, but I could never get the wdm +
ck-launch-session combination to work correctly, a problem that has been
reported before). Using kdm/gdm, however, these issues can be dealt with;
see these threads in the NetworkManager list:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2011-November/msg00083.html
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2011-November/msg00020.html

Hope this helps,

R.

> ... it seems that it shouldn't be a problem, because I'm running in a
> session in which nm-applet was, earlier, happily running on
> unity-2d-panel, so I'm guessing that the authentication plumbing is in
> place. Though I did have to kill that panel to stop trayer from
> complaining with

>    another systray already running

> Is it possible to restart XMonad with ck-launch-session without losing
> my current window configuration?

> Thanks.

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
Department of Biochemistry, Lab B-25.