[xmonad] Going Gnomeless (and Unityless on Oneiric)

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Mon Jan 16 08:33:19 CET 2012

Brandon Allbery wrote:

> nm-applet will work with something like trayer instead of the GNOME panel,

Any hints on how to progress with this?

When I try

  trayer &
  nm-applet

I get

  ** Message: applet now removed from the notification area
  ** (nm-applet:2096): DEBUG: old state indicates that this was not a disconnect 0

> although you may need to run xmonad under ck-start-session.

As I'm doing only inital trials at the moment, I don't want to exit my
session and lose my bazillion windows. Could not running it through
ck-launch-session be the cause of the above? From what you said
elsewhere ...

> It's part of ConsoleKit, which NetworkManager / nm-applet uses to
> authenticate the console user as being permitted to control wifi.

... it seems that it shouldn't be a problem, because I'm running in a
session in which nm-applet was, earlier, happily running on
unity-2d-panel, so I'm guessing that the authentication plumbing is in
place. Though I did have to kill that panel to stop trayer from
complaining with

   another systray already running

Is it possible to restart XMonad with ck-launch-session without losing
my current window configuration?

Thanks.