[xmonad] Going Gnomeless (and Unityless on Oneiric)

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Mon Jan 16 19:32:00 CET 2012

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte wrote:

> I am joining late, but in case it helps:

I need all the help I can get :-)

> I have nm-applet and trayer working fine. I launch trayer and nm-applet
> from .xinitrc,

Now here is something where I'm completely lost: How do I choose
between .xinitrc, .xsession, startx, xinit, X, gdm, lightdm etc. etc?

(And where in all this does/should .Xmodmap get read? I'm testing
ideas by starting a second X server, and something somewhere is
reading my .Xmodmap when I launch a session normally, but not
manually.)

> [...] I change display configuration options via xrandr [...]

Note to self: Check out Xrandr.

> I need to use kdm or gdm as display manager

For technical reasons?

> I could never get the wdm + ck-launch-session combination to work
> correctly

Do I understand correctly that ck-launch-session is something that I
will only need if I use nm-applet? If I go with wicd, ck-launch
session won't be necessary?

Does anyone have any comments on nm-applet vs. wicd?