[xmonad] Compilation error in darcs xmonad-contrib

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Tue Feb 8 16:30:24 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 12:36:43PM +0100, Toby Cubitt wrote:
> For a little while now, I've been unable to compile xmonad-contrib from
> darcs. Now that the repo is back up, I tried again, but am still getting
> the same error as before:
>
> [ 34 of 212] Compiling XMonad.Hooks.ICCCMFocus ( XMonad/Hooks/ICCCMFocus.hs, dist/build/XMonad/Hooks/ICCCMFocus.o )
>
> XMonad/Hooks/ICCCMFocus.hs:43:17:
>     Ambiguous occurrence `atom_WM_TAKE_FOCUS'
>     It could refer to either `XMonad.Hooks.ICCCMFocus.atom_WM_TAKE_FOCUS', defined at XMonad/Hooks/ICCCMFocus.hs:34:0
>                           or `XMonad.atom_WM_TAKE_FOCUS', imported from XMonad at XMonad/Hooks/ICCCMFocus.hs:27:0-12
>

> This is with ghc 6.12.3, and version 1.5.0.0 of the haskell X11
> libraries. Is there something amiss with my xmonad/haskell setup, or is
> there an error in the current darcs xmonad-contrib?

It compiles fine for me with the same versions of ghc and X11.  Try
this and let us know if you are still having problems:

  - First, have you pulled all the most recent patches from the xmonad
    core and contrib repositories with 'darcs pull'?
  - cd into the directory with the xmonad core repo and do 'cabal
    clean; cabal install'.
  - Do the same (cabal clean; cabal install) in the contrib repo.

-Brent