[xmonad] Compilation error in darcs xmonad-contrib

Toby Cubitt tsc25 at cantab.net
Tue Feb 8 17:03:59 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 10:30:24AM -0500, Brent Yorgey wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 12:36:43PM +0100, Toby Cubitt wrote:
> > For a little while now, I've been unable to compile xmonad-contrib from
> > darcs. Now that the repo is back up, I tried again, but am still getting
> > the same error as before:
> >
> > [ 34 of 212] Compiling XMonad.Hooks.ICCCMFocus ( XMonad/Hooks/ICCCMFocus.hs, dist/build/XMonad/Hooks/ICCCMFocus.o )
> >
> > XMonad/Hooks/ICCCMFocus.hs:43:17:
> >     Ambiguous occurrence `atom_WM_TAKE_FOCUS'
> >     It could refer to either `XMonad.Hooks.ICCCMFocus.atom_WM_TAKE_FOCUS', defined at XMonad/Hooks/ICCCMFocus.hs:34:0
> >                           or `XMonad.atom_WM_TAKE_FOCUS', imported from XMonad at XMonad/Hooks/ICCCMFocus.hs:27:0-12
> >

> > This is with ghc 6.12.3, and version 1.5.0.0 of the haskell X11
> > libraries. Is there something amiss with my xmonad/haskell setup, or is
> > there an error in the current darcs xmonad-contrib?
>
> It compiles fine for me with the same versions of ghc and X11.  Try
> this and let us know if you are still having problems:

OK.

>   - First, have you pulled all the most recent patches from the xmonad
>     core and contrib repositories with 'darcs pull'?

It appears so:

$ cd xmonad/; darcs pull
Pulling from "http://code.haskell.org/xmonad"...
No remote changes to pull in!

$ cd ../XMonadContrib; darcs pull
Pulling from "http://code.haskell.org/XMonadContrib"...
No remote changes to pull in!

>   - cd into the directory with the xmonad core repo and do 'cabal
>     clean; cabal install'.
>   - Do the same (cabal clean; cabal install) in the contrib repo.

Hmmm. I'm using the gentoo darcs ebuilds, and don't have the cabal
command line tool installed. I could have installed it temporarily for
testing, but instead I tried taking the sledgehammer approach, nuked the
xmonad and XMonadContrib repositories completely, and installed afresh.

I seem to recall trying this before without success (sometime before
code.haskell.org went down). But I should have tried it again, because
this time the clean install worked fine. Maybe I was hitting the old
atom_WM_TAKE_FOCUS issues when I tried before, and somehow the old code
hadn't been cleaned out properly by darcs pull. Who knows.

Anyway, thanks a lot for helping me out, and sorry for the noise.

Toby
--
Dr T. S. Cubitt
Mathematics and Quantum Information group

email: tsc25 at cantab.net
web:   www.dr-qubit.org