[xmonad] Compilation error in darcs xmonad-contrib

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Tue Feb 8 16:32:33 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 04:28:45PM +0100, Toby Cubitt wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 01:15:13PM +0100, Jan-David Quesel wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 12:36:43PM +0100, Toby Cubitt wrote:
> > > For a little while now, I've been unable to compile xmonad-contrib from
> > > darcs. Now that the repo is back up, I tried again, but am still getting
> > > the same error as before:
> > >
> > > [ 34 of 212] Compiling XMonad.Hooks.ICCCMFocus ( XMonad/Hooks/ICCCMFocus.hs, dist/build/XMonad/Hooks/ICCCMFocus.o )
> > >
> > > XMonad/Hooks/ICCCMFocus.hs:43:17:
> > >     Ambiguous occurrence `atom_WM_TAKE_FOCUS'
> > >     It could refer to either `XMonad.Hooks.ICCCMFocus.atom_WM_TAKE_FOCUS', defined at XMonad/Hooks/ICCCMFocus.hs:34:0
> > >                           or `XMonad.atom_WM_TAKE_FOCUS', imported from XMonad at XMonad/Hooks/ICCCMFocus.hs:27:0-12
> > >

> > > This is with ghc 6.12.3, and version 1.5.0.0 of the haskell X11
> > > libraries. Is there something amiss with my xmonad/haskell setup, or is
> > > there an error in the current darcs xmonad-contrib?
> >
> > I would suggest patching the ICCCMFocus file be removing the
> > internal declaration of atom_WM_TAKE_FOUCS... so remove the lines
> > 33-36.
>
> That did the trick. Thanks! (Once again, I'm amazed by the speed and
> helpfulness of the comments on this list.)
>
> If I understand right, this internal definition is conflicting with
> another definition of atom_WM_TAKE_FOCUS from somewhere else. Is this
> because there's something squiffy about my xmonad installation, or does
> something need to be fixed in xmonad-contrib?
>
> Someone more knowledgeable than me will need to answer this, I
> think...

You shouldn't need to do this.  There were some issues with
atom_WM_TAKE_FOCUS recently, but to my knowledge they have been fixed
in the most recent darcs versions. At this point I would recommend
doing a 'darcs revert' in both core and contrib repositories, then
following the instructions in my other email, otherwise you are likely
to get into a sticky repository situation down the road.

-Brent